1. What is Cole's idea to cure Peter's depression? How does Edwin react to this suggestion?
Cole's idea is that Peter needs to soak in the pond, carry the ancestor rock, learn how to be invisible, to dance around the fire, carve his totem and see The Spirit Bear. Edwin doesn't think it is simple for Peter to come.
2. Do you think it is a good idea for Peter to visit the island?
Yes, because he has to learn that Cole has changed and try to forgive Cole.
3. About 2 weeks after Cole's suggestion, who arrives on the island?
Garvey, Edwin, Peter, Mr. and Mrs. Driscal.
4. Peter blurts "Leave me alone, I don't need your help!" to Cole. How is this situation similar to Cole's initial feelings about Garvey and Edwin? How is it different?
Because Cole had changed after what happened. But, Peter didn't change after what happened.
1. Peter does not want to sleep in the cabin with Cole. What arrangements are made for Cole's living quarters while Peter is on the island?
Cole sleeps in the tent, outside, in the rain.
2. Do you think that Edwin purposely brought a leaky tent?
No, because he's trying not to be mean to Cole.
3. Peter shows some signs of embracing to Cole's island practices. What are they?
Soak in the pond, carry the ancestor rock, carve the totem and dance around the fire.
4. Why do you think Peter threw the rock at Cole and later tossed him into the water?
Because Peter was mad at Coke at what happened a year ago.
1. What does Peter tell Cole when he lets him into the cabin? What does Peter do the following days that show he dislikes Cole?
"Why haven't we seen The Spirit Bear yet?". Peter walked in his muddy boots on Cole's sleeping bag, twice, knocked down Cole's jacket, left the bathroom door wide open, opened the door to make Cole freezing and destroyed the bear carving.
2. What does Cole convince Peter to do after destroying the bear on his totem pole?
Cole told Peter to find another log for Peter's own totem.
3. What does Cole say about the quality of carvings on the two boys' totem poles?
Cole said, "If you see an animal, you do the dance and carve it on the totem.".
4. What does Peter do to Cole's totem pole at the end of the chapter? What does this say about the change in Peter's attitude towards Cole?
Peter fixed the bear carving on Cole's totem. Well, I don't know how to say it but Peter said, "Depends if you want to learn.".
1. Peter asks Garvey not to accompany Cole to the pond. Why does he do this?
So Peter can beat Cole up..."SHOCKING!".
2. Why does Cole not fight back?
Because Cole changed and didn't want to hurt Peter again.
3. Do you think Cole deserved the beating he received from Peter?
No, because Cole really didn't mean to hurt Peter.
4. Cole states "I don't think I'll ever heal from what I did to you, but I'm sorry, Peter. I really am sorry.". What then happens?
Peter knelted down, crying and The Spirit Bear appeared.
5. As the book closes, Peter states "What makes you think I forgave you?". Do you think Peter has forgiven Cole?
Yes, because Peter finally saw The Spirit Bear and felt so sorry for hurting Cole.